Monday, March 25, 2013

Baby Chickens

We picked up our little flock on Friday morning. We brought home 4 Silver Ameraucana chicks and 4 White Leghorn chicks. They are just the most precious little things. Unfortunately this morning we lost 2 of them. 1 each of both breeds. After racking my brains trying to figure out what happened I have decided I'm pretty sure it was from an unnoticed case of "pasty butt" in each of them. I saw the "pasty" as I was removing their remains them from the brooder this morning. The other 6 seem happy and comfortable. I'll just be watching their little fuzzy bottoms much closer the rest of the week. For the time being the chicks are in our house. We had planned on keeping the brooder in the garage but had an unexpected cold spell this weekend. Better safe than sorry. Our cat Oreo loves to sit on the table above them and watch. For the most part she ignores them. She can't get to them, so they aren't much excitement. Our lab mix on the other hand stares at them as often as she can. If we take the top off she is right there licking her lips. She worries me. We make sure to keep her separated from them when we're not in the room and at night. Here are a few pics of our little flock...




 
 
 
 
  
We started pulling apart pallets for the coop this weekend. We still have a few weeks before the chickies can head out into the world, so we are taking our time and building it right. We are using mostly pallet wood as it is free and a good way to repurpose it. I will post pictures of the build process as we get it started. I am so excited for this adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment