Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Chickens Are Coming!

Finally, winter is coming to an end and I have something to write about!

Spring = Easter, Easter = Chickens (and bunnies, but not this year), and Chickens = Simple Life Homesteading.

I have wanted to raise chickens for years. Even long before I chose to live a simpler more self sufficient life. This year, I am doing it! I know that this will probably not be as fun and exciting as I anticipate it to be. I'm sure I will have to learn from many mistakes. I've been researching what I will need to buy and build. Raising chickens seems like a lot more work than I would have ever thought. To be honest, I kind of put them in the same "pet" category as cats. You know, mostly care for themselves, just give them some water and food, clean out their bedding every once in awhile and collect the eggs. Boy was I WRONG! I haven't even received my chicks yet and have already put way more time and effort into them that I imagined I would need to! My pullets will be here in a few weeks and I am working on securing a few rabbit cages to keep them in (in the garage, since I have to keep them at a certain temperature) until I get the coop/run finished. I had no idea I would need to keep the chicks warm, even in the house! Or that they need perches to sleep on (I really thought they slept in the nesting box or on the ground). I didn't know that they need gravel in their diet if they don't have access to dirt/rock or roam free. I also didn't know that racoons can open doors and windows!!! Oh the many new things I am learning. What I do know is that I will have farm fresh, antibiotic free, pesticide free, hormone free, eggs....less bugs, and a much more lively yard! I am excited to get started and to share this new journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment